Elysian Fields

Musings, rants, critiques, social commentary, hilarity, conversations about the word poo, and other nonsensical anecdotes.

Friday, March 03, 2006

Station Identification

We interrupt the ongoing saga of The Book of Nine Balls to offer a brief intermission. I would like to thank you (all 2 or 3 of you) who have taken time of your days to visit the Elysian Fields. It means a lot to me that people would read my lunatic ramblings. As I sat in Staten Island the other week (I personally refer to Staten Island as the Isle of the Damned), I was listening to music while watching a contractor fill a rather large abyss in the ground. The CD was Dirt by Alice in Chains. Suddenly...as if addressing an audience...I spoke aloud my thoughts on how Dirt was actually a better album than Facelift. I then pulled out a piece of paper and a writing instrument and began to compose a list of sophomore albums that were better than their predecessors. And this list...I now offer to you. Now to let you know the rules I used in creating this. First, I dealt with full LPs - EPs, specialty albums (i.e. Christmas, other language, reissues of unreleased works, etc.), and the like were not considered. Actually, that is about the only rule. So on to the list...and please, feel free to share your thoughts or maybe any ones you think that I may have missed...

Dirt - Alice in Chains
The Low End Theory - A Tribe Called Quest
The Score - The Fugees
Tragic Kingdom - No Doubt
A Rush of Blood to the Head - Coldplay
The Return of the Space Cowboy - Jamiroquai
Resurrection - Common Sense
Queen of the Meadow - Elysian Fields
Light and Magic - Ladytron
De La Soul is Dead - De La Soul
Watermark - Enya
ATLiens - OutKast
Nevermind - Nirvana
Cherry Pie - Warrant
Discovery - Daft Punk
Dare Iz a Darkside - Redman
A Strangely Isolated Place - Ulrich Schnauss
The Infamous - Mobb Deep
Stripped - Christina Aguilera
My Life - Mary J. Blige
Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds, Vol. 2 - Jill Scott
The Slim Shady LP - Eminem
Wikked Lil' Grrls - Esthero
Bridging the Gap - Black Eyed Peas
By All Means Necessary - Boogie Down Productions

So that is what I was able to come up with...what do you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

Hold it, hold it, hold it...you think "Wikked Lil Girls" is better than "Breath From Another???" Well I'll be.

I own both and think they're great albums. But there's a certain level of awesomeness present on "Breath From Another" that Esthero just didn't touch on "Wikked."

Oh and you forgot to list Fiona Apple's "When the Pawn..." ;)

4:40 PM  
Blogger DKage said...

Fiona's When the Pawn...! *smacks self in the forehead* How could I have forgotten that one?!?! I feel so dumb. That was brilliant work for her - I think it was better than Tidal and both versions of Extraordinary Machine, which I still stand on the belief that the Internet one was superior to the retail version.

As for Esthero, Wikked Lil' Grrls has more musical diversity and better production. Plus the topical range of lyrics is stronger...in my humble opinion. And thanks for reading this, babe...

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home